The Five Minute Friday word is define.
Who Defines You
There are three voices that claim to know who we are, to define who we are. One is the world around us. A second is ourself. A third is God. Each one speaks but only one can truly define us.
I put the world first because it is the people around us that we hear long before we know our own thoughts. Our family speaks first, and then the ripples of others have their say.
Then comes our own voice. The voice we hear inside. We take in the other voices and mix it with our own.
God has a voice, but we don’t hear it first or loudest. But he is the one who can tell us who we are, who we really are. He made us, and he understands all of us—even the parts about us we don’t understand.
The voices all speak, but only one can define us. When we listen to God’s definition, we find wholeness and can walk in the truth. When other people agree with God’s definition, we recognize and affirm truth. When they don’t, we recognize it as a lie.
The tough part is taking time to discover God’s definition…and accepting it.
Three Words that Define Everyone
While we are all individuals, we have much in common. Here are three words that are true for ever person on the planet.
1. Image-bearer. God made every person in his image.
So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.
Everyone is an image-barer. We don’t reflect his image perfectly. But the good we see in other people comes from reflecting the Original.
2. Loved. God loves everyone.
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.
God demonstrated his love by providing a way for us to have a relationship with him through Jesus.
3. Changing. We are not the same person we were yesterday. While God doesn’t change, we do. Our bodies change. Our life experiences change us. If you have a relationship with God in Jesus, part of our changing process is caused by the work God is doing within us. When we feel discouraged about how much we are not all we want to be, we can remember God is working in us—changing us—to be like him. He is restoring our ability to reflect him well. (One of my favorite books about the process of becoming who God made us to be is Becoming Myself.)
And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ.
Who defines you (or who has the loudest voice)?
When you think about who you are, who has the loudest say? I’m working to listen to God’s definition of me over my loud-mouth, and decidedly negative, inner voice.
What is Five Minute Friday?
It is a 5-minute writing party. Click the icon to read some other great writing.
1. Write for 5 minutes flat – no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking.
2. Link back here and invite others to join in.
3. And then absolutely, no ifs, ands or buts about it, you need to visit the person who linked up before you and encourage them in their comments. Seriously. That is, like, the rule. And the fun. And the heart of this community.